Getting HP Deskjet 690C to work with Ghostscript/Magicfilter

I have a HP Deskjet 690C connected to my Debian computer. Something is
seriously f*cked up. In short:

It prints a page or two of a ps file and then runs amok. It feeds page
after page (*no* end) and writes some gibberish at the top on some of
the pages (like 30-60%). Restarting the lpd with lpc, kill,
/etc/init.d/lpd and the powerswicth on the printer does not help. The
only thing that gets it to stop is switch off the printer and a
reboot. No errors in /var/log/lp* that can give any hints.

If you have any hint on how to get my printer to work I am more then
happy to do my part. Note that although I am an experienced computer
user I do not know the internal workings of Linux when it comes to
things like this.

/etc/printcap:
lp|hpdj690c|HP Deskjet 690C:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpdj690c:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/dj550c-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:

I use dj550c-filter since according to the docs it is the one to use -
is there any better?

Debain woody, magicfilter 1.2-38, gs-aladdin 5.50.

I was told there was a special driver for 690C in Aladdin 6.0 by the
maintainer of <URL:http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/printer_list.cgi>
but the maintainer of gs-aladdin, Torsten Landschoff, said there where
no such file.

Any help or information is appreciated! I want a working printer -
even if I have to buy a new one!

--
( GnuPG/PGP key @ www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/  !     Wei Wu Wei     )
( Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying, Emacs/Gnus   !  To Do Without Do  )