/etc/init.d/hwclock.sh behaviour

   hi,

from the documentation of util-linux (in frozen) I got the advice not to use the hwclock --adjust feature, as it is potentially dangerous (if some other program messes with the CMOS clock). My question is: what alternatives do I have? I don't have a network connection on my home box. I leave my computer off for long periods (days, even weeks) and find that the hw clock is drifting pretty  bad. I don't want to set my system clock every time I boot, especially since this might introduce &pi0;time warps' in the system.

IMHO, the hwclock --adjust feature is about the best I can do for getting my clock to behave. If I find out the systematic drift over a period of several months, I should be OK. But Debians policy is to store the system time in the hwclock on shutdown, so my adjustments are lost.

Dennis van Dok