From: lint@lint.localdomain [mailto:lint@lint.localdomain]On Behalf Of
Bryan Scaringe
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2000 10:29 PM
To: Chris Mason
Cc: recipient.list.not.shown :;; recipient.list.not.shown :;;
Debian-User; aphro
Subject: RE: two card clash

Your cards will not show up in ifconfig until they are configured.

Take the loopback interface as an example.  You probably have support
for the lopback device built into your kernel.  But you wont have an entry for
it in ifconfig untill your init-scripts do something like:
  ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
  route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 lo

In other words, what you see in dmesg is just the module being loaded, not
the network configuration for the card.

Hope this helps,
        Bryan