...second sound/CD card...?

I'm running potato on a P-120 Compaq Presario 992 box that has an
on-board sound card.  Under OS/2 I could never persuade the system to
understand and accept the addition of a second slightly better sound
card/CD controller.

I'm guessing linux is smart enough to figure this out, though -- how
could I best find out and approach doing this?  Is it likely the two
cards will happily coexist or will it be an IRQ war no matter what?

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."