Re: Backspace acts like delete in X

sam <hari@shellyeah.org> wrote:
>I've heard that this was a commom Debian problem but I"ve never
>experienced it before. When in X my backspace key deletes to the right of
>the cursor instead of the left. In console or in an xterm it's normal. I
>can't seem to find anything to edit in /etc/X11/XF86Config to change
>this. Any ideas (don't tell me to run xf86config again I'd rather just
>know where the setting it)

Read /usr/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz, searching for "backspace".

When I experienced this problem it was partly because I was
unnecessarily running xmodmap (don't do this unless you really know your
way around) and partly because I didn't realize that adding my own
VT100.Translations entry in ~/.Xresources *overrides* the setting in
/etc/X11/Xresources/xterm, rather than adding to it.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]