Re: Help with module problems on Upgrade to 2.1
- To: Gregory Guthrie <email@example.com>
- Cc: "Oliver Elphick" <firstname.lastname@example.org>, debian-user <email@example.com>, Jean Pierre LeJacq <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Help with module problems on Upgrade to 2.1
- From: Bob Hilliard <email@example.com>
- Date: 01 Apr 2000 12:11:21 -0400
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: Gregory Guthrie's message of Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:50:28 -0600
- References: <Gregory Guthrie's message of Fri, 31 Mar 2000 11:49:13 -0600> <Gregory Guthrie's message of Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:27:01 -0600> <Message from Gregory Guthrie <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Gregory Guthrie <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> Bob, thanks for the help.
> I tried it, to little avail.
> (session below). I can't tell if
> 1) just better tool usage is needed,
> 2) my configuration is broken, and if so how to recover,
> 3) the tools are broken (less likely..)
> But, how does one probe into the details of:
> "subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status"?
You can look at the prerm script with `less
/var/lib/dpkg/info/samba.prerm'. If you can see a line in the script
that appears to be causing the problem, you can comment it out. If
you can't see the cause of the problem, you could insert `exit 0' at
the top of the script. Then try `dpkg --force-depends -r samba'
I am not familiar with samba, but I see it has a _lot_ of files.
By-passing the prerm might leave some directories, or even files, on
your disk that would otherwise be removed. Since you intend to
re-install samba, that probably won't be a be a problem, but you could
always run cruft (../admin/cruft_*.deb) to locate files that aren't
In general, using --force options to dpkg, and/or modifying the
maintainer scripts, have the potential to damage your system. In the
present case, samba is already broken, so I don't see much chance of
damaging anything but samba.
|_) _ |_ Robert D. Hilliard <email@example.com>
|_) (_) |_) Palm City, FL USA PGP Key ID: A8E40EB9