AMD PCNET PCI Ethernet question

Hi,

(absolute Newbie to Linux):
Using Slink and trying to setup my eth0 for the first time. I am reading
the Ethernet-HOW-TO and have a few ques.

When I did dmesg | more, it did not show any eth'N' messages so my first
installation did not see the card.

I looked under /lib/modules/2.0.36/ and found pcnet32.o which is what
the HOW-TO says as being the correct driver for AMD PCNET PCI.

if I do a ifconfig as root, I still do not see the eth0.
if I do a modprobe eth0, I don't get anything.

Can you help me detect my Ethernet Card without having to compile my
kernal(cause I don't know how and don't want to get into that if I can
avoid it).

If I have to edit the /etc/conf.module, what exactly should I add/edit ?

Thanks in advance,
kuraldeb