Re: Bad magic number in super-block

On 26 Jan 1980, Kent West wrote:
> When I got home today I discovered that the power went off while I was out. When I turned on the monitor to my Debian potato box, I saw a message that said "bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hda1" and that the superblock could not be read and that I should try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock. I then tried "e2fsck -b 8193" and got the same message, so I then tried it with 16385 and got the same message.
>
> I am a total newbie when it comes to working with superblocks; can anyone give or point me to a step-by-step fix (assuming there is one)?
>
> Thanks!

I have tried to do this a few times and it's never worked for me. I
mailed the author of fsck and he assured me that it does work at least
sometimes, and of course I accept what he says; but I've certainly had
no luck with it and I've always had to reinstall when the dreaded
message appears.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - running Linux Debian 2.1 (Windows-free zone)
Book Reviews: http://www.pentelikon.freeserve.co.uk/bookreviews/

"To be forced by desire into any unwarrantable belief is a calamity."
I.A. Richards