local debian mirror & subnets

Hello,
I have a very strange problem regarding a local mirror of
debian and subnets.

We have two subnets:
x.x.1.x  Laptops
x.x.3.x  Servers

We have set up a local mirror of debian on a machine on the
server subnet.  This can be ftp'd to and telnet'ed by a user
and anonymous ftp.  However, when we try and use dselect or
apt-get to install new packages (or check for updated files)
then the process stalls (i.e. like when trying to recieve
lists).

Here is an excerpt from dselect update packages..

Get:1 ftp://proxy frozen/main Packages [837kB]
Err ftp://proxy frozen/main Packages
  Read error - read (104 Connection reset by peer)
Get:2 ftp://proxy frozen/main Release [93B]
0% [2 frozen/main 0/93B 0%]

Now, okay it could be a problem with the subnet or routing,
but then how come we can ftp and telnet and ping to the
server???

It could have been a problem with the mirror of debian, but
then we put the machine on to the same subnet as the laptops
and everything worked with dselect and apt-get.

Does anyone have any idea why dselect or apt wont work
accross a subnet when everyting else (especially ftp)
does???

I am really stumped here!!!

Johnny.
begin:vcard