Re: Trying to autostart mySQL

runlevel is a parameter to init. init is the first (and only) process started directly from within the kernel itself. Starting init is the last thing the kernel does. You can pass a parameter to the kernel for it to pass to init, which is the runlevel. If no runlevel is passed
then init relies on the default runlevel in /etc/inittab. init also uses /etc/inittab to decide what other things to run (which includes all the rc scripts).