Re: s...l...o...w... ppp xfers

Quoting Rick Hayter (rhayter@acad.udallas.edu):

> > Slink is working like a champ in all aspects but ppp connection speed.
> > Actually, I connect at high speeds, but my sustained throughput runs from
> > only 200-400 bps!  When first downloading, I get a burst of speed, but in
> > seconds all activity seems to stop.... then another short
> > transfer burst...

A totally unrelated approach...

Have you looked at the traffic? Eg, with tcpdump -l ppp0 or somesuch.

I had this problem when I took a box from work home with me, and it
had been set up to run iplogger. Throughput was lousy because of a huge
amount of nameserver traffic. dpkg --remove iplogger at the home end
fixed the problem instantly.

(The majority of the traffic all had the same port number in it, and
fuser linked it to the pid which was iplogger's.)

Cheers,