RE: Su && Development Packages

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Bart Szyszka wrote:
> Can we *please* get a serious answer to this question?

Sure.

>I've tried to find it
> numerous times without any luck and it's ridiculous. The beauty of Debian
> is that you can install a clean, unbloated system that's easy to maintain.
> However, one thing that's always been keeping me down is compiling programs.
> Packaged versions easily set up all the packages you need for that, but if
> you're installing a base system, then how are you supposed to get it to
> compile programs properly?

Quite a while ago, I installed my Debian system from floppies (which had
been downloaded from the Internet). So basically, after the installation,
I had a base system. If I remember correctly, apt-get and ppp packages
were already installed so that apt-get'ing would only need to run
pppconfig.

>How about a list of *all* the packages that are
> installed when you enable the C development/compiling environment (or whatever
> it's called) in a packaged (i.e. store bought bundle) version of Debian or any
> other flavor of Linux?

Let's see: make, gcc, binutils, cpio, bin86, libc6, libc6-dev, bzip2,
kernel-source-2.2.13, kernel-headers-2.2.13, libncurses4, libncurses4-dev,
ncurses-base, ncurses-bin, ncurses3.4, m4.

>And please don't give me ridiculous answers like "download
> the packages the app requires". I'm talking about having all the packages needed
> so that it'll be a sure bet that most, if not all, of the times that I try to compile a
> program (*any* program), it'll work.

If you download a package, then other packages that are in the package's
dependency list would get dowloaded also; for example, if you apt-get gmc
(Gnome Midnight Commander), then all the Gnome related packages would get
downloaded. So, I think, if you need to get a package, try to get the
"topmost one" (everything would be simple; there's no need to manually get
gnome-core, gnome-bin, gnome-panel, etc.)

>Don't people on this list compile programs?!?

Yes.
But IMHO, there's no need to get the list of needed packages in order to
get something compiled. You could start with: apt-get install gcc, and
then try to compile your program and see the error if there's any. It's
quite possible that you'd need "make", so it's the next one to get. If you
need to compile the kernel, ncurses related packages would surely be
needed (for "make menuconfig").

Oki