Mahogany / thwarted by dselect

On Potato, I've downloaded and tried to install the (slink) deb package
of mail client Mahogany, which apparently has a dependency on
libstdc++2.9.  "libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1" is in the listings in dselect --
but dselect/dpkg/apt don't see this as the correct item.

dselect [I]nstall leads to an appearance that Mahogany is about to be
-removed-, consequently, even as "libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1" is about to be
retrieved/installed.  I tried D (set to directly requested), also H
(hold Mahogany in its current state) -- but the screen shows mahogany
will be both removed and held. :-)  So I'm reluctant to proceed.

What to do...?

--

 -- Jeff --   <http://www.wellnow.com>

 "There's nothing left in the world to prove.  All that's worth doing
  is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."