Re: Su && Development Packages

Please set your mailer to generate lines <76 characters long.

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 08:10:51PM -0500, Bart Szyszka wrote:
> > a).
> > This has to have been asked a million times, but I can't find anything in
> > the archives related to this topic: What packages do I need to fetch to be
> > able to compile most software (i.e. Apache, X apps, etc.)?
>
> Can we *please* get a serious answer to this question?
[...]
> And please don't give me ridiculous answers like "download the
> packages the app requires". I'm talking about having all the packages
> needed so that it'll be a sure bet that most, if not all, of the times
> that I try to compile a program (*any* program), it'll work.

Well, if you want to be so absolutely sure any program will compile,
install every package that ends in -dev, and every compiler, and every
build tool.

A good start is to first learn some very basic programming (C in
particular) so you can have an idea what the error messages mean, or at
least which are important. Read the README, INSTALL, and other
capitalized files that come with the program, they'll often tell you if
you need special libraries to compile. Learn to use the Debian package
search. Install potato, and use the task-*-dev(el) packages to get a
good start on having the right programs for compiling the language
you're working with. And be ready to install more libraries' -dev
packages as needed for the particular program you're trying to compile;
there are so many, it's very difficult to define a subset that will take
care of 'most' programs.

> Don't people on this list compile programs?!?  Geesh!

All the time. But it takes a little more thought than 'doubleclick and
pray'...

--
  finger for GPG public key.