Re: Su && Development Packages

Ben Collins said:

>> % su
>> su: Authentication failure
>> Sorry
>> %
>>
>> When I _know_ I have given the right password. Caps Lock is off, I've tried >> typing it plain text so I know the input is correct, I've logged in as root
>> and changed root's passwd and it still doesn't work when su-ing from a
>> normal user account.
>>
>> /bin/su is chown root.root and file permissions are correct.
>
>What are the file permissions?

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root   root 22992 Mar 14 08:28 /bin/su

>Can you su to another user besides root?

Nope. :-\ :-)

Same failure message.

>What output do you find in /var/log/auth.log?

Repeated errors of this nature, from my various attempts:

(with date removed)

PAM_unix[145]: (login) session opened for user sysadmin by LOGIN(uid=0)
PAM_unix[202]: authentication failure; sysadmin(uid=1000) -> root for su service
su[202]: - tty2 sysadmin-root

Need more?

Thanks,

Brian