Re: printer port

Hello there,

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, John Anderson wrote:

> Did you configure the <parallel printer port module> during the installation of
> Debian?  If not that may explain the problem.  I'm not very experienced with
> Linux, but I would say that the kernal would have to be redone or reinstalling
> Debian if it's easy enough.

If this is really the problem, you do not have to reinstall the whole
system, and usually you also do not have to recompile your kernel (though
this is always a thing to consider after a new installation, as it usually
makes your kernel smaller and therefore your system faster). Many modules
get installed automatically while installing debian, the lp-module for the
printer-port included. If you didn't configure this during installation,
you can do it by running the "modconf" command, which allows you to load
and configure modules after your installation is completed.

Regards,
Daniel