RE: Lying to dpkg?

> Lying to dpkg eventually causes huge problems and usually a
> re-install.

Uh-oh! :) Well, I'll probably do a clean install when potato is released as stable anyway. I still don't have an awful lot riding on the current installation. Maybe I'll even try installing apache/php/mysql/mod_ssl/openssl from debs again.

> If you
> can not install the software from debs, please mail the
> maintainer or submit
> bugs.

In my case (never have looked at a unix-like system before) it's more likely that I did something wrong than that there's a problem in the packages. I probably failed to install some package or other that would have acted as a bridge between the various main packages... or something like that. That's my guess anyhow. The problem's more likely with my ignorance than with the debs. At any rate, I don't know how to tell the difference yet. ;)

> So, you have to compile something.  Consider using apt-get source
> and compiling
> the package yourself, seeing how it works.

I've tried that on a few things now that I (blush) know how it works. That's gone really well, and beats the heck out of trying to figure out how to lie to the system after the fact.

Thank you for the help. I will definitely do my best to report bugs as soon as I feel confident enough that what I'm reporting is actually a bug in the software and not in the wetware.

Phoenix