RE: Debian -vs- Win95?

On 28-Mar-2000 Vicente Torres wrote:

> We have bought a PC (AMD K7 Athlon
> with Hewlett-Packard CD recorder) to act as a server
> allowing people to copy their data on this server and
> record their CDs.
> We also want to attach our fax to this server
> and "use it as a printer" from other PCs in the net.
>
> Should I,
>
> Instal Windows 9x (easy to install and the software for
> the HP recorder will probably work under Windows)
>
> or
>
> Install Debian with
> samba, mgetty-fax and cdrecord.
> (I have never configured none of this
> applications.)
> ?
>
> If I install Debian everything should work fine,
> otherwise my colleagues will "ask" me to install
> Windows.

The stock answer is, "Install Debian!"

I'll help with the kernel compilation, and cdrecord setup. I'm running an HP
cdr on this box, using xcdroast, mostly.

Any takers for the samba and mgetty?

Paul
--
E-Mail: Paul Kallstrom <paul@softracamerica.com>
Date: 28-Mar-2000
Time: 13:45:23

Debian/GNU Linux (Potato) & XFMail
Random Trekism: Hailing frequencies open, Captain.

---