Re: x windows only allows root??

See other followups as well.

Check your .xession-errors file (usually in $HOME).

Log on to console as non-root user and execute:

    startx -- 2>&1 | tee ~/startx.log

You should get a stream of messages, including possibly an indication of
your error, on screen.  If they fly by too fast, you will find them as
well in the file ~/startx.log.

I avoid use of an X display manager (xdm, kdm, gdm, wdm, etc.) -- it's a
cool screen I look at for five seconds, it requires an X server when I'm
not running X, and causes (or obscures) problems.  Maybe OK for a
general office workstation, but a PITA for a serious Linux box.