Re: I've broken lilo; how to fix?

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Eric House wrote:

> I couple of weeks ago I was trying to teach lilo about my >8 gig disk
> via some parameter added to the lilo.conf file.  I no longer remember
> what I did, and have long since removed it.  But now lilo will not
> run.  It boots the machine fine, and the machine works great; but I
> can't change my kernel or make any other change that requires running
> lilo.
>
> Running lilo gives me this error message:
>
> Warning: device 0x0302 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
> geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (4464 > 1023)
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?  I'm not concerned about accessing the
> >8 part of the disk, but only with being able to run lilo again.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Eric House

If you don't exceed 1024 cylinders in your ext2 partition you don't have
problem, I think you must try in lilo.conf something regartds to "linear"
but I'm not sure of it (when I installed Debian 2.1 i made an ext2
partition in the first 1024 cylinders).

One question: Your bios support EIDE with more than 1024 cylinders?
Remember to install lilo on /dev/hda and not in /dev/hda1 or something
like.

Goodmorning,
       Beppe