Modem problem

I just got a new computer and loaded Debian on it.  I've managed to switch
modems (it came with a winmodem) and after about a week of struggle
managed to get it to log on to my ISP...and now I know why it was so
difficult.  My modem/computer only seems to be getting the first 10-20
characters of whatever gets sent by the ISP and then hangs.  I can force
it to go on by pressing/sending a return (which is how I finally managed
to log on), but I can't get it to start PPP or get anything to run on a
shell account.

Any ideas?

Hilary
Hilary L. Hertzoff			From here to there,
hhertzof@panix.com			a bunny go where a bunny must.
hhertzof@wlsmail.wls.lib.ny.us		- Little Bunny on the Move
					  by Peter McCarty