slrn/leafnode timeouts

I'm currently using fetchnews and slrn and frequently have the NNTP
connection timeout while composing longer articles, with the result that slrn
decides it can post the article and I have to reload it from
slrn-failed-posting.txt.  While that works, it's a royal PITA...

Looking through the config files, the only promising thing I spotted was
query_reconnect in slrn.rc, which is documented with

% If non-zero, prompt for reconnection if the NNTP connection drops.  If zero,
% attempt reconnection without asking user.

However, changing it from 1 to 0 didn't improve (or even change) things any.

So...  How do I either tell fetchnews not to time out NNTP connections or
tell slrn to reconnect immediately?  (This actually shows up other places as
well - if I step away from the keyboard or jump into mail while reading news,
when I come back, slrn will claim that the next message/group I try to touch
is unavailable the first time, then I have to try to bring it up a second
time to get slrn to reconnect to my server - which is particularly annoying
when this happens with a group, because slrn unsubscribes it.)

--
The Shortest Windows Manual:  "Turn off the power switch."
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K