2 monitors on a Rage Mobility

Hi,

A friend of mine has a Laptop with a ATI Rage Mobility. When running Windoze
he can connect another monitor to his laptop and use both his TFT and the
CRT, with a resolution of 1600x600 of the entire desktop. He can't get that
to work under Linux. Is there anyway it is possible? I know he had a hard
time finding the correct X-server, and now it doesn't support this feature.

TIA
Bart

PS
This and getting VMWare to work fine are the only things that keeps him from
swapping from MS to Linux. I'm helping the Linux community to get another
soul ;-).