RE: XF86Setup & apt-get

You need to get a server for your card for XFree to work.

XF86Setup additionally requires the vanilla vga (svga?) server to run, but
you can avoid this by using the console based configuration (XF86config--not
the configuration file, but a script).

It may be a bug that the configuration depends on a package which is not
listed in the dependencies.

There are probably other pieces as well.  I used dselected, and started with
the task-* stuff under X.  However, I deleted some of the things it takes
in; there's no point in getting servers for cards you don't have.