Sudden memory usage.

Tonight, while running nothing out of the ordinary, there was a sudden
increase in hard drive activity. Really suspicous, I hopped over to tty8
where I keep a copy of top running for just this sort of occasion. Top was
set to display my usual luser account's procceses, so I couldn't see what
was using *all* (real and virtual) my memory. I attempted to chang top's
display to show all users, but at that point there wasn't even enough free
memory to do that. I was finally forced to use crt-alt-del to reboot my
box. After rebooting I spent half an hour probing through /var/log/* but
didn't find hide nor hair of the culprit. Has anyone else ever had this
happen and if so, where you able to assertain the cause.

Thanks in advance
-Levi

P.S. I'm running "woody", updated somtime last week.

P.P.S Please CC in any replies, thanks.