Re: Cron help?!?

Hi Percival!

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Percival wrote:

> I am looking for some help with cron.  I have read the man pages, but I still cannot figure out how to schedule a job and NOT have the stdout emailed to me.

Quoting from the crontab(5) manpage:

       If MAILTO is defined (and non-empty), mail is sent to the user
       so named. If MAILTO is defined but empty (MAILTO=""), no mail
       will be sent.

> I am trying to run fetchmail to check some remote e-mail boxes
> several times an hour, and it works very well, but I end up with TOO
> many e-mails from cron.  I tried to redirect, but I think that
> fetchmail doesn't work like that.

Maybe fetchmail writes to stderr too. in this case you would have to
use > /dev/null 2>&1 to also redirect stderr.

In case of fetchamil is is probably better to log to syslog if you run
it from cron though. (--syslog; keyword: set syslog)

You can also use fetchmails silent switch (--silent).

One question remains: Why do you run fetchmail from a cron-job. Maybe
you don't know of fetchmail's daemon capabilities (--daemon).

Anyway, check out the fetchmail(1) man-page.

> Is there a better way to do this?  Can exim do this for me?

This is not exim's job!

--
				yours,
				peter