Re: ssh loading at startup

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Beavis wrote:

> /etc/init.d/ is where i have to put the script
>
> what do i type?   sshd or run sshd

To execute the various daemon commands try:

/etc/init.d/sshd [start|stop|restart]

> /etc/rc[RUNLEVEL].d  is what i don't understand

Sym links in the /etc/rcX.d directories point to the script
/etc/init.d/sshd. If the symlink name starts with a 'S' init executes the
script with the 'start' parameter. If the name starts with a 'K', init
executes the script with the 'stop' parameter. The number in the sym
link name indicates what order the scripts in a particular rcX.d
directory are run in (the order IS important). You can of course do this
manually as described above. Read the man page on update-rc.d (symlink
management program), also read the Debian faq at:

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/

Particularly section 12.5!

Jason