multiple dial-up numbers

Hi, I'd sent this to the linux-admin list and did get some helpful
replies, though I haven't yet found a solution that would easily work
with the Debian slink ppp setup.  I may be able to modify a script I got
from someone else, but if anyone knows how I can more easily set this up
in Debian I'd appreciate some help!  :)  Thanks.

----- Forwarded message from Jim Breton -----
>From time to time I've looked for software or docs that would help with
this and haven't found anything yet.

My issue is this: I normally leave my machine (Debian slink, running
kernel 2.2.14) online all the time.  But, I do occasionally get
disconnected.  I use "pppupd" to force unlimited redials if my
connection is dropped, but it often happens that I can't get back online
using my primary dial-up number and I need to dial one of their other
numbers.

You can probably see where this is going.  :)  I am trying to find a way
to make pppd dial several different numbers, in order, until one
succeeds.

I know about the "persist" option but this will also just force a
re-dial of the same number over and over afaict.

I suppose if there is no better way to accomplish this, I could rotate
my chat scripts every time I get disconnected.  But this would only work
once after disconnection, because the scripts in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d/
would not be executed due to a simple dial-up failure.

Or maybe I could run pppd in the foreground within a wrapper script and
watch its exit status?  And each time it exits, rotate the scripts....

Any other ideas?

TIA.
----- End forwarded message -----