Re: outdated packages

masee@usa.net (Marshal Kar-Cheung Wong) wrote:

>    > there are several packages included in debian archives that are
>    > outdated.  instead of installing the outdated ones, in some
>    > cases are useless to me, i want to compile an updated copy of
>    > the source.  i'm trying to figure out how i can compile this
>    > source, and let dpkg/dselect know that they've been installed.
>
>Try downloading the deb source, patching the source, and then using
>dpkg-buildpackage or dpkg --build.  (Check the man pages.)  Make sure
>you get the source from the debian website or with apt, if you have
>the deb-src lines in sources.list, as it will contain debian
>subdirectory in the source tree, which is needed by dpkg to build
>debs.

Having installed dpkg-dev and devscripts:

apt-get source package
cd package-version
[patch]
debuild [or] dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
cd ..
dpkg -i package_version_architecture.deb

Or you could download the Debian diffs (package-version.diff.gz -
apt-get source will leave them lying around) and apply them over a fresh
upstream tarball, then rebuild.

dpkg --build does something slightly different; it simply puts a .deb
together out of a directory tree with all the compiled binaries etc. in
it, rather than actually building from source. See the dpkg-deb(1) man
page.

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]