Re: Lying to dpkg?

> 1. Use the --ignore-depends flag.
> 2. RTFM; it's right there.  "man dpkg" (if you've installed man-db).

Thanks and I did. I always do. :) Sometimes TFM doesn't give quite enough info
if you don't already know what you're looking for. In a lot of cases TFM serves
you well if you know what you're doing and need to jog your memory, but not so
well as a learning tool.

> Debian is good at alleviating the pain of dependencies.

That is definitely true. It's very helpful. And I'm not suggesting a direct
comparison, because MS doesn't really even have a parallel to dpkg. All I'm
saying is that to a newbie, package management as it's currently implemented
tends to feel restrictive. It would seem that those more knowledgable often
agree, as the debates about whether to make updates to stable fly fast and
free.

Like you said, I could just avoid using it entirely... but I like it. It's a
big time saver. I'd just like to see it get a bit more flexible. Finding ways
to work around the system seems to be the topic of a lot of posts around here,
and it shouldn't have to be.

Phoenix