kernel freezes while start-up

I ran into difficulties with installing Debian. When booting the last
message I see is:
md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4 MAX_REAL=8

I understand that its not a Debian only issue as I was reading many posts
from users of various distributions who were mainly Athlon users. The only
hint they got was to use a newer kernel which is compatible with Athlon.
Since I have a Celeron I don't think that would help.

My configuration is the following:
Celeron 400
VIa Apollo ProPlus 133
2.2.14 Kernel

Where can I find a precompiled Kernel or a complete bootdisk which lacks
this md driver 'feature'?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Regards
-Tamas