RE: DNS lookups fail

Sorry, that was not quite right. nslookup did eventually return, with:

*** Can't find server name for address ...: No response from server

for all three servers I have in my /etc/resolv.conf file, which are working
fine.

I can ping these same servers just fine, so I don't think it's a routing
issue.