Re: checking md5sum of installed packages

    JB>  I'm sure this has come up before but searching the archives for
    JB> "dpkg md5sum" etc. just comes up with WAY too many matches.  :(
    JB>
    JB> Anyway my question is: is there a dpkg command I can run that
    JB> will check the md5sums of all my dpkg-installed files?
    JB>
    JB> I know on RedHat you can do: rpm -Va
    JB>
    JB> I see that I can do: dpkg -l to get a list of my installed
    JB> packages.  Would I have to use that output in a shell script
    JB> (perhaps with xargs) etc. to do this?  Or is there a
    JB> straight-forward way?  I don't see any reference to this in the
    JB> man page.

Install the debsums package:

(from man page)

DEBSUMS(1L)                                      DEBSUMS(1L)

NAME
       debsums - Check the md5sums of a package

SYNOPSIS
       debsums [-a] [-l] [-s] [package] ...

DESCRIPTION
       debsums   will   check  if  the  indicated  packages  were
       installed with checksums. If so then the checksums will be
       compared against the currently installed files.  The pack­
       age can either be a filename of a .deb  archive  in  which
       case  the  checksums  are  extracted from that package and
       compared or an installed package name.

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com