splitting kde .debs?

I've downloaded kde packages and would like to transfer
them to another box to try installing them there. I can
use only 1.44 floppies. So far I've not been able to
copy the smaller files successfully - the problem shows
itself when trying to mount the floppy after apparently
copying the files there. As there's nothing wrong with
/etc/fstab or the kernel compile for filesystems, I
wonder if in fact copying has been done correctly.

With .tar.gz files, I've done this without difficulty,
and with larger files using 'split', copying the parts
to floppies and rejoining by 'cat'ing on the second
machine works.

I can't get anything to work with the debianized kde
files, and so I suspect I'm trying to do something which
is not possible, or that I'm going about it the wrong way.

I could, of course, download again on the second box if
necessary, but I'd prefer to solve this problem if it
can be done.

Now I'm starting to 'flex my muscles' I appear to get
a problem a day. Will anyone point me in the right
direction, please.

Regards, John.