Re: Group for /dev/cdrom, Does not work for me :-(

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 06:39:33AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 07:09:44PM +0100, Radim Gelner wrote:
> >
> > On my system, the symlink /dev/cdrom is pointing to /dev/hdb. /dev/hdb is
> > owned by root, group disk. When I want to allow users to play CDs using
> > cdcd, can I change the group for /dev/hdb to cdrom or is there some
> > security threat?
>
> should be fine, just make sure to change it back if you rearrange your
> hardware so a disk ends up on /dev/hdb.
Hmmm I always just made my cdrom ( hdc ) world readable. this seemed
like a nice way to handle it but it didnt work for me.

janet:/dev# ll cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     cdrom           8 Dec 13 04:54 cdrom -> /dev/hdc

janet:/dev# ll hdc
brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Mar  3  1999 hdc

janet:/etc# less group
<snip>
cdros:x:24:rosef
<snip>

janet:/etc# less group-
<snip>
cdros:x:24:rosef
<snip>

Does anyone know whats wrong with my setup? It seems fine to me but
IANAG (I am not a guru ;-)
--
Frisco Rose             "By any other name, I would smell the same"
E.O.U. Student          rosef@eou.edu (541) 962-2987

Science Journal Ed.     scijou@scijou.eou.edu
EOU Hoke Center 307     (541) 962-3787
La Grande, OR. 97850