Re: A little bad press about Debian

On Mon, Mar 20, 2000 at 18:32:46 -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Of course it's difficult to tell without any technical details, but my
> educated guess would be that the non-free binary-only software they tried
> to use was linked with -rpath,

I second that guess. I've seen this before, once with the CDE product Red
Hat redistributed, and once with a crossword puzzle generator built on Red
Hat (which apparently in some releases used -rpath for X compiles by
default).

Of course, this problem is typically easily fixed once identified: just
change the first character of the RPATH value in the binary to NULL.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would