Re: Is it possible for finger to not show .forward?

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 03:49:34PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:

> > simply "chmod 600 .forward" - at least on solaris this works ...
>
> I don't think that works on Linux; it did not work for me, anyway.

its not a linux issue its a MTA issue, finger is not a privileged
program (or shouldn't be!) so if it cannot read .forward it cannot
display it, however some MTA's require that .forward be world readable
which is i assume what you mean.

my .forward is mode 0600 and it is most certainly not displayed in
finger.  and my MTA likes that just fine (postfix).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/