Apache "initial" webpage

I've installed Apache 1.3.9-12 and apache-doc 1.3.9-12. The initial web page that Apache installs has a link to the documentation, but I get "403 Forbidden" when I click on it.

I've tried creating symlinks to the documentation from /var/www to /usr/doc/apache, but no matter what I do, I always get the 403. I tried creating a directory under /var/www/ and copying the initial index.html there, and I still get 403. Permissions look okay, though.

Please cc: me when replying to the list.

Thanks,
Chris Martin