Re: Printing trouble

On Sat, Mar 18, 2000 at 10:39:38AM +0530, K. Sudheesh wrote

> Dear Friends,
>
> 	I have installed the Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 distribution on my 486
> machine called "sarasvati.nio.org" with 32MB RAM.  This has a local HP
> LaserJet 4M+ printer attatched to it over a serial port. The printer name
> is "mayem".  "Sarasvati" is connected over the LAN. I have the following
> strange printing problems.
>
> 	All users who are local users on "sarasvati" can print their jobs
> on the printer.  Users who are not local on "sarasvati" cannot print their
> jobs on it but can do so if they sudo to root.  Window users can also
> print here.  I have checked the printcap file for rs: and rg: entries but
> none exist.  I will be very grateful in you could help me in resolving
> this problem.

I use LPRng in place of BSD lpr so I could be talking out of my
hat, but this sounds like a problem with the clients rather than
your server.  What OS/spooling software are they using?

As they are able to print as root then presumably there is no
problem with the server setup or the printcap on the clients;
perhaps it is a permissions problem with the spool directory
on the client.  What are the permissions on 'lpr' on the
clients, and does making the relevant spool directory on a
client world-writeable make any difference?  (please, remember
to change things back if you try this).

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au