Re: XEmacs use 'Alt' as 'Meta'

I've been rather fighting the inconsistancies myself. I might get to
fixing up console someday.

Oh yeah, there's something called ICCCM which xemacs follows under X which
among other things describes  a method (IMO the Right Way)  to
consistantly read and interpret keypresses.

Basically (going from memory)

Apps like Enlightenment and gnome seem to assume that any key that
generates "mod1" modifier is ALT
ICCCM apps like xemacs assume that the "shift" keys that generate ALT_L
and ALT_R with the same modifier bit, said bit not shared with any other
"shift" keys, is ALT.
Also assumes that the "shift" keys that generate META_L and META_R with a
dictinct modifier bit (doesn't matter exactly WHICH modifier bit) is META.

I mean, you can map SHIFT_L and SHIFT_R to use "mod1" and Eterm will
suddenly decide that pressing "SHIFT+R" will be ALT-R.

People in general don't seem to care, at least not the last time I brought
up the subject. See the list archives and the bug system.

Heh, maybe I'll make a proposal in my spare time, if I could get at least
one official developer to back me. This is on my list of peeves.

--
Beiad Ian Q. Dalton