Locales

Okay, I've been munging my system all day, and now have Nethack's
OPTIONS=IBMgraphics font working in color in tty. Not quite sure how I got
there, I was working on something else.  The big question is, what exactly is
the font:

/usr/share/consolefonts/default8x16.gz

?? cp437 or cp865?? Something else? Not iso-8859-1, is it? Evidently
it has the IBM-specific graphics characters and at least most of the
umlaut- and accented characters. Mutt and Lynx both look good under it.

When I try setting the font to iso1.f16.gz, for instance, *even* *if* mutt
knows about the char font difference, the message thread arrows break,
showing accented "A"'s. If I set it to default8x16.gz, man replaces hyphens
with upside down bangs.

Is there a middle ground? What is a good source on locale?

--
bedlam@concentric.net  ||  http://www.concentric.net/~bedlam
Though nothing is wasted, everything is spent. -- Annie Dillard