Re: Unresolved symbol errors with custom kernel... .

> A new thing I just noticed: the sb live module claims to load correctly upon boot (I put it in /etc/modules.  I still get no sound, but it IS loading correctly.
>
> Question:
>    1. How can I check to see if the module is loaded correctly (sb live)?  Is there a test I can run?
you can run "lsmod" to see, if the module is loaded and if it is used by
other modules or some process, but i don't think, that you can check
that way if it is configured right.
if it really works, you can just test, if you hear something ...
possibly you get some messages to the syslog if you try to play
something and the dma-channel is not set correctly.
>    2. Should I have run depmod after installing new modules?
i think yes.  i always do.
>  I think the problem may lie in old modules that I no longer need as
> modules.  Would running depmod clean the dependencies for old modules?
it will.

> As for your ideas:
>    1. I did not directly make soundcore or anything else, only make modules and install, should I have to make them each separately?  I don't have the experience of exporting symbols out by hand (I don't really know what the term symbols referrs to), but I would love to learn; where can I find a howto or any documentation about this?  There does not appear to be a modules howto.
with soundcore i mean the kernel option "sound->sound card support". you
don't have to select any soundcard, but compile this basic support as a
module. all kernel-sound-drivers need this module, so i guess that
creative's modules need it, too.
>    3. It is possible that my modules.conf is wrong.  Debian uses /etc/modutils/aliases and other files in /etc/modutils to change modules.conf.  I could not find good documentation about how to use this, but I did find some into in the sb live sources - make a files called emu10k1 in /etc/modutils with the alias info.  It reads that file and uses it when I ran update-modules.
possible, but hard to say without further info ...
check, if the sound-device (char-major-??) is linked to the right module.
>    4. I did not run depmod after building the modules and installing them.
that could be a reason for the kernel not knowing, that it has to load the
soundcore (even if it already is in the right place).

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.