gpmconfig test works; gpm doesn't

Hi. I've got a PC/2 (on /dev/psaux) mouse that
works just fine in X. However, at a console, it
doesn't work. So I've tried running gpmconfig, and
the test (where you move the mouse and see the
pointer move, and then press Ctrl-D to quit) works
fine, but when I quit gpmconfig and gpm starts, my
mouse no longer works, or more accurately, no
longer works correctly; I don't see a pointer
"box", but sometimes portions of the screen will
highlight as I move the mouse, etc.

This also seems to prevent cut&paste within X.

Anyone know what's wrong?

(Please CC me as I'm currently off the list
(bouncing problems...).)

Thanks!