Re: empty .ssh directory

Are you also using ssh to log into other computers (not only to be able to
log into your own using ssh), if that's so, it's not weird the directory
is empty. If you are using ssh to log into other computers there should be
a file: known_hosts.

Empty syslog isn't weird either, every once in a while (see cron) the
syslog is renamed to syslog.0 (syslog.0 becomes syslog.1.gz etc.) and
syslog is empty agains and starts logging again. I think (not sure, but
would be logical to me) that when the logrotate (renaming of the
logs) starts the logging daemons are stopped and restarted again after the
logrotate, the line in your syslog says that the syslog daemon has started
(also comes in your syslog after a reboot).

I have no idea what the process is, you say you tried killing it, have you
tried killing with the -9 option (hard kill).
You can check /var/run if in one of the files is the pid on which the
process is running, perhaps that can explain things.

Ron