Unresolved symbol errors with custom kernel... .

I am getting 20+ 'unresolved symbol' errors after installing a custom kernel and modules under the potato freeze of Debian.  Actually, now that I look at it, I get a lot more than 20, and the majority of them (I loose a lot from scrolling past the console buffer) are in /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/.  I have applied two kernel patches (ppDev and ppSCSI), which both worked (after some tweaking).  My HP 5100 scanjet parallel port scanner works very well through the Gimp now!  The only other thing I have done to the kernel is to install (or try to) the Soundblaster Live module.  It does not work.  The errors I get from it are like this:

Using /lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol sound_preinit_lowlevel_drivers_Rebdfb792
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol isa_dma_bridge_buggy_Rf82abc1d
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol sound_unload_lowlevel_drivers_Ra675fda1
/lib/modules/2.2.14/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol sound_init_lowlevel_drivers_Rec0251af

I can access the mixer, but I'm not sure I've got the correct mixer devices, so I don't actually know if the mixer is picking up the mixer device (if that makes any sense).

I also get a smaller list of 'unresolved symbol' errors during boot.

Any ideas?