Re: automatically deleting ^M on text files

Yannick Jestin <jestin@cena.fr> writes:

> > t s a d i <ch4di@yahoo.com> writes:
> [...]
> > > has the character "^M" all over it (caused when someone uploads a
> text
>
>   Olaf's solution is a bit complex, I'd say. It involves a 'rm', and
> it can be dangerous !

Would you care to enlighten me and the rest of the list?  The original
file is only removed if `tr' succeeded.

For reference, I suggested:

  for file in *; do
    mv $file $file.old
    tr '\015' '\012' < $file.old > $file && rm $file.old
  done

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development