XF86Setup segfaults (using XFree86 3.3.6-2.99.slink.1)

Hi all,

I'm mailing this to vincent because it involves his non-official packages, and I'm posting it to debian user to get general feedback on tracking down a segfault.

Last week I installed the slink version of Xfree 3.3.6 from Vincent's site.  Now when I run XF86Setup, it segfaults on me.  Everything else seems to work ok.  (I have a working setup after using xf86setup (text based).  What's the best way of trying to track this down?

I did an strace (my first) on it and it seemed to die while reading in the video card list (sorry I'm not at my home box so I can't show you the exact output)

I have two ideas of what could be wrong:

(1) I was previously using an old XFCom_Rendition Server with the original slink version of X (3.3.2 or something like that).  I was a bad boy and neglected to keep this unpackaged thing under /usr/local. Perhaps there is some cruft left behind that is messing up the new version.  I'm thinking that
it may read in two copies of the card list and cause some sort of memory problem.  (Grasping at straws here...)

(2) I'm still running kernel 2.0.36  Could there be an undeclared dependency on the 2.0.38 headers?  This is assuming that the video card list is a red herring.

Mark