Mutt & Locale [was Re: Mutt questions--SOLVED!]

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 03:57:47AM -0900, Ethan Benson wrote:
> hehehe we all do stupid stuff at some point ;-)

	I tend to do them every 5 seconds :)

> btw do you know how to get mutt to display the accent marks and such
> correctly?  your name for example in mutt shows up like this:
>
> Jos? L G?mez
>
> emacs displays it fine when im editing the reply however..

	This is because mutt uses locale. Basically, mutt will ask
locale whether it is safe to print some characters (in this case, the
whole ISO-8859-1 set). If locales is happy with it, it will print them.
If not, it will put a question mark (?). The trick here is to export the
LANG environment variable, so that locale knows whether it can use ISO
8859 or not. In my case, this is done simply by
	export LANG=en_GB
In your case, it is presumably done by
	export LANG=en_US

	Hth,