Too many open files with NFS

Hi everyone,
=-=-=-=-=-=-

some days ago strange messages began to appear in my syslog saying

"nfsd[1259]: non-standard errno: 24 (Too many open files)"

Does anyone have a clue what to do about this? What does it mean? And how
can I increase the allowed number of free files? I've got a serious problem
with this - many files are inaccessible, applications crash - just terrible.

I'm using the latest nfs-server package from Potato.

Please help! Ask anything I forgot to tell about. I am very thankful to
everyone willing to help.

All the very best,
Peter