Re: broken python in frozen?

Robert.L.Harris@rnd-consulting.com (Robert L. Harris) wrote:
>Who's the python maintainer?  I was trying to install python so I could
>install hostsentry and I get this:
>
>{0}:wally:/usr/local/abacus/hostsentry>apt-get install python
>Reading Package Lists... Done
>Building Dependency Tree... Done
>Note, selecting python-base instead of python
>Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>or been moved out of Incoming.
>
>Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
>the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
>that package should be filed.
>The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
>Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>  python-base: Depends: libdb1.85 but it is not installable
>E: Sorry, broken packages

libdb1.85 is the database library for libc5, and libdb2 is the
equivalent for libc6 (I understand). This has now been fixed:

[cjw44@riva ~]$ zcat /usr/doc/python-base/changelog.Debian.gz | head -5
python (1.5.2-9) frozen unstable; urgency=high

  * Fixing a grave bug: Recompiled with libc6 2.1.3-6 to fix broken
    dependency on libdb1.85 which hosed the upgrade
    (closes: #59967, #60029, #60033, #60112).

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]